a word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations
state as one's opinion or judgement; declare utter aloud
- "She said 'Hello' to everyone in the office"
- "I say let's forget this whole business"
- "The registrar says that I owe the school money"
- "I cannot say `zip wire'"
- "What does the law say?"
- "Let us say that he did not tell the truth"
- "Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
- "The clock says noon"
recite or repeat a fixed text
- "She said her `Hail Mary'"
communicate or express nonverbally
- ""Did his face say anything about how he felt?"
- "What does this painting say?""