preceding all others in time or being as first made or performed (of e.g. information) not secondhand or by way of something intermediary not derived or copied or translated from something else; "the play is original; not an adaptation"
- "the translation misses much of the subtlety of the original French"
- "he kept the original copy and gave her only a xerox"
- "his work is based on only original, not secondary, sources"
- "retracted his original statement"
- "the original cast"
- "the original performance of the opera"
- "restored the house to its original condition"
- "the original inhabitants of the Americas"
- "the book still has its original binding"